Sunday, September 30, 2012

Meandering into hope and miracles...


Meandering........

My  best friend in high school just sent an e-mail updating us on the latest health crisis her husband is experiencing  in his ongoing battle with cancer. They are away from home and although the medical facilities are excellent, they are far away from their regular medical team, family and support system.  This crisis was cruel enough to occur while they were in the NC mountains, thinking they could have just a tiny little respite, a bit of a break from the chemo and radiation and all the other horrific abuses this sweet man’s body has endured.

My friend is a true Christian in the sense that she and her husband walk the walk as they talk the talk.  Politically, they are conservative, but not obnoxiously so.  They were both teachers up until retirement just a few years ago...she, in a 3rd grade classroom, and he as a football coach.

These past few years, since his cancer diagnosis,  I read her posts and my mind goes back to the days of high school when my friend lived right next door.  Her mother was a nutcase, but had a sweet heart, and her dad worked for  Coca Cola and brought us cokes by the case, which, even though I was primarily a Pepsi kinda’ girl, my allegiance was easily swayed by free cokes.  Her dad coached me in plane geometry and was the first person to recognize my dyslexia...unfortunately,  this diagnosis came after he recommended I take the class.  But, that’s a whole different meandering story.

My thinking is,  and I guess this is why I felt the need to meander here....life, itself, speaks so much more loudly, and profoundly, than politics or religion.  If we were put in the position of my friend, what would we do?  Would we reach out to only those who believe the same?  Would we cull through all our friends and  delete those who were of a different religion or political party?  Do we,  Democrats,  automatically disengage from the Republicans we know?  Do you Republicans, leave the Democrats out of your prayer requests?

My  guess is.. no.  If someone we love is in need, we  reach out to anyone who we think might send a prayer, chant, healing light or whatever form of support they can offer. 

So, I guess what I’m doing here is asking you to go deep and find your compassion.  Hold my friend, Kay, and her husband Kirk, in the light.  Maybe too, I am hoping that we can come together, as mere human beings occupying Planet Earth, and somehow, find a way to coexist in a peaceful, caring manner.  I’m not so naive to think this will be easy  or even acceptable to everyone.  I have a cousin who is as nasty as anyone I know in terms of sheer hatred and avoidance of facts, but that’s his journey, not mine, and I choose to believe that most of us are more than ready to find the light  and go about creating peace wherever we can.  I even have hopes that he will, someday,  move beyond the constraints of his ideology.  Stranger things have happened, right?  But, he represents what I don't want to be and that's another good reason to reach out and simply try.....meandering into hope, miracles and, always...peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment